Sunday, February 28, 2010

Research Question in Conversation with Sources

After spending some time doing searches for good articles, I think that I have narrowed down my topic. I have noticed that there are many articles on the cost of college sports and most of the articles talk about how sports don't help the university. I am being persuaded to want to say that sports are bad for the university and that maybe I have to face the reality of that. My new question would specify on the negative effects of sports in college and how they are really taking away from schools. Many of my sources talk about the financial strains that sports put on colleges and how they are taking away from academics. Hopefully this is a good lead into a more specific research question for my paper.

2 comments:

  1. Wow -- that is a big step for you! You might at least leave open the idea that for some schools sports can make money. But I think you are correct -- for most they are a losing proposition (a "sucker's game" or "sucker's bet"). Yet the strongest argument that people make is that sports bring in money -- and it is clear that privatization has driven the investment in sports. So this is a very timely and interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see why people can make the argument that sports bring in money through privatization, but they don't realize that this money that is going towards sports, is money that could be put towards academics, but instead goes to sports because of the rewards offered such as seeing a winning program, good seats, or getting exclusive access to practices and even players.

    ReplyDelete